LENTIL DAHL SOUP / Serves 8
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5cm ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g red lentils
- 1 × 400ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 1300ml vegetable stock
- 150g kale, chopped (thick stalks removed)
- a bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped, stalks and all
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper (optional)
In a large saucepan, fry the garlic, ginger, chilli and onion in the oil for about 10 minutes, until soft and sweet. Grind the cumin and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar, then add to the pan with the other spices and cook for a couple of minutes to toast and release the oils.
Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes and stock to the pan and bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down and bubble away for 25–30 minutes. Add the kale around 20 minutes into the cooking time.
To finish, take the heat and stir in half the chopped coriander and the lemon juice too. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.